Pages

Friday, November 7, 2008

Propositions and Proclamations

I don't want to be too political on our blog and I am not going to comment on the new President or anything along those lines, but I do want to comment on an issue that is involving my personal and religious beliefs. I am sure most of you have heard of proposition 8 and how it has passed, banning gay marriage in California.  I am not sure if you are aware, but there have been protests at LDS churches and now at the Los AngelesTemple. I want to share a quote I found in an article.
Jeff Flint, strategist for Yes on 8, said, "I am appalled at the level of Mormon-bashing that went on during the Proposition 8 campaign and continues to this day," he said. "If this activity were directed against any other church, if someone put up a website that targeted Jews or Catholics in a similar fashion for the mere act of participating in a political campaign, it would be widely and rightfully condemned."
It makes me sad that people are so quick to bash the LDS church for something that was voted on and passed by the citizens in California but I want to note that I am grateful that the church I belong to has a modern day Prophet. In 1995, 13 years ago, the LDS Church presented "Family: A proclamation to the World". I am so grateful that the Church made its status on Marriage known to the world, and I know that it was divine that what we define as marriage was made known long before all the gay marriage debates of today. 
The proclamation says, "The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity."
I am glad that many citizens in California agree and that Prop 8 passed!

1 comment:

Keith, Heather and Carsen said...

Couldn't agree with you more! I think you hit it spot on Jess. It really is a blessing to have such a wonderful foundation to build our marriages and family on! Miss seeing you guys.