Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wednesday's Read

The read for the day is, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  I just finished this book a few days ago.  I can't say that this is a happy book at all times, in fact the narrator is Death himself. So if this is not a warm and fuzzy read then why did I love it?
 This book is set in Germany during the holocaust.  It follows a girl named Liesel.  She is the book theif, and Death has seen her a few times throughout her life and so he tells her story and the story of what is happening at the time.  This book is unlike any book I have read before.  The style of writing and the flow of the book was great.  There was just something about this book that really hooked me.  As with any great book it made me laugh, and it also made me cry (I actually cried kind of hard at one point).  I also REALLY loved the characters in this book.  I really felt like I cared about the characters by the end of this book.   This book also made me think.  When I am really interested in a book or when I really enjoy a book it stays with me for a couple days.  I think about it when I am in bed or driving in the car.  I have been thinking about this book and about the characters.   I recommend this book because there was just something about it that I can't quite put my finger on yet.  Although it was depressing at points, I really enjoyed this book.
Have any of you read this?  I am interested in what you think about this book.  What did you think of it?

2 comments:

Cassi said...

Hey Jessica! I don't know you guys very well yet, but I saw your name on the Mortensen's blog so I clicked on it and saw this post. It's funny because I'm reading this book right now!! And... it's very interesting! I like happy books so we'll see how I like this in the end... especially since it doesn't sound like it gets any better... eek!

Jewls said...

Loved this book!! It was amazing, and I thought that the author was so clever to use death as a narrator! Yup, it's brilliant, everyone should read it!!