Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Becoming Jane

Today I am doing a movie review.  I know that I usually do book reviews but I really wanted to talk about this movie.  As the title states, this is a review of Becoming Jane.  Have any of you seen this?  I know there are people out there who don't like this movie.  If you know much about the life of Jane Austen then the ending is no surprise, but if you do not know much about her, I am not one for spoilers.  

For the record, I LOVE this movie.  I think it is beautiful and heart wrenching and incredibly romantic.  I think there are moments in this movie that are some of the most passionate and romantic scenes without being physical.  This movie also caused me to develop an irreversible and deep "crush" on James McAvoy, (he is also great in Penelope, which is also an adorable and great movie).  In this movie, unlike most out there, everyones lives don't end up perfectly, but the relationships and emotions are real and moving.  I have seen this film a couple of times and I watched it again last night.  Although I knew the movie, it sill made me fall in love, it broke my heart, and made me love Jane Austen even more.  
There are characters in this movie that are very similar to those in Jane Austen's novels showing where a lot of her inspiration came from.  And I know there are some who will say that this is not entirely a historical biography of Ms. Austen, and to them I say, " Who cares it is awesome and romantic and I love it, so leave me alone."  If you have not seen this, you should check it out.  You may not love it as I do, but it is a love story that I think will touch your heart.

Seeing these two together actually makes my heart flutter.  Lame, I know. 

Do any of you get in those "Time Period" phases?  Two nights ago I watched Pride and Prejudice, and last night I watched Becoming Jane.  I have just been in the mood for movies like that as of late.  I also Just finished a book 3 days ago called Enthusiasm.  It is about two friends and the one is obsessed with Pride and Prejudice.  I wonder what sparked the phase this time?  Maybe it is the upcoming Valentines Day and my Anniversary so I am feeling extra romantic.  I tend to turn to things like this when I am feeling Romantic.  

And since it is almost Valentines Day.......
Question: What are some of your favorite romantic movies?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally have a crush on James McAvoy! He was so cute in Penelope. I think I saw "Becoming Jane", but I don't really love Jane Austen movies! I know, I'm lame. My favorite Valentine's movie is probably "Serendipity".

Cassi said...

Ok, it's official, we would definitely get along! :)
I loved this movie too even though the end is so sad! And I love James McAvoy! He's so cute. He was really cute in Penelope!
I love Jane Austen movies... the long version of Pride and Prejudice is my fav, along with Emma. Have you ever seen the Importance of Being Earnest? Not Jane Austen but it's another period movie. It's cute too!
My most favorite romantic movie though is Phantom of the Opera... or Moulin Rouge!
But I'm a sucker for Romantic Comedies as well! Serendipity, Return to Me, etc. Oh if only my husband could stand them! :)

Anyway... I sent you an invite to my blog! Happy Anniversary coming up!

Julie H. said...

I saw Becoming Jane awhile ago. I really enjoyed it. But, I like all of those period movies also! What an interesting story and what a relationship! My favorite is also the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice. There's nothing else like it out there.