Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 4- My Favorite Book

Today is day 4 of my blog a day challenge. The topic is, "My Favorite Book."

This one is kind of tough but also kind of easy for me.
It's tough because I adore reading. In fact, I have read 3 books just this week. It is one of my favorite pastimes. There is nothing like picking up a book, unsure of what wonders lie on those delicious smelling pages, and being hooked from chapter one. I have spent many nights up much later than a rational person should be, kept company by the dim glow of my book light, silently turning pages so I don't wake Justin who has already been asleep for hours. When I am sucked into a great read I can't help myself, I just dive right in and don't come up for air until I absolutely must (to perform such mundane tasks like eating, bathing, and using the ladies room, none of which are near as interesting as my books). So in this sense, it is hard to pick just one book out of all the books I have read. I have so many that I love, that have made me laugh and cry. There are many that have touched my heart, taught me, frightened me, and changed me.
But on the other hand there is just one book that I have read more than 3 times. It is a book that is often referenced when people have to name that one "favorite" book. It should come as no surprise that my choice would be, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
It is in my opinion, one of the greatest books of all time. I even secretly wanted to name my daughter Scout, but Justin would never let me, and I don't know if I really could name a little girl that. Atticus Finch is one of my favorite characters in any book I have ever read, I so wish that I could meet him in real life. I have read it at many different stages of my life, and each time I take a different lesson away from it. So here's to Harper Lee, thank you for giving the world such a treasure. Your story will always have a special spot on my bookshelf.

No comments: