Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wednesday's Read

This installment of Wednesday's read is going to be different then the previous ones.  I have been on a reading kick as of late and so there were too many books on my mind and it was too difficult to just pick out one for this week.  So, I am going to give a brief review on the books that I have read in the last 2 weeks. Enjoy!

"The Giver" by Lois Lowry.  I LOVED this book.  I don't know how I had never read this before, but I am really glad that I finally did.  It is sweet and thought provoking and a very easy read.  I think it is a book that teaches lessons while being intriguing.  This is a book that would appeal to many different people of all ages.  I also love the cover art.  It is just how I pictured the Giver to be in my head. 


"The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss.  I really really liked this book.  It was different then I thought it would be but I enjoyed it.  It was clever and unique.  It was heartbreaking and heartwarming. I loved the characters in this novel.  I feel like you get to know them and they seem very real.  There were also a few surprising turns that i did not see coming.  This is one of those books that makes you feel.  


"The London Eye Mystery" by Sibohan Dowd. This is the story of a young boy with Aspergers syndrome whose cousin goes missing and uses his unique brain to try and solve the mystery.  This book was okay.  I think it was a little young for me (it is a YA book) but it was a quick and easy read.  I actually didn't figure out the mystery before the Author revealed it, but it never quite got me hooked.  Maybe I would've liked it if I were a little younger.  So I am giving this one a good, not great.


The Gemma Doyle Trilogy aka "A Great and Terrible Beauty", "Rebel Angels", and "The Sweet Far Thing."  
I have conflicting feelings on this trilogy.
I read all three books in about 5 days which is saying something because they are pretty thick novels.  So it would appear that I was hooked right?  In some ways...Yes. But in other ways not so much.  There were parts that I LOVED, and parts that were not so great.  I thought that the first book was just good, not great.  I did not love it but was intrigued enough to want to finish the series.  I really enjoyed the second book and loved some of the third book and hated some of the third book.  The parts I enjoyed were the parts that take place in the real world at the boarding school and the social events.  I was not at all crazy about the magical, "out of this world" parts. At some parts I felt I was just reading it quickly to get back to the good stuff.  I also did not like some of the themes that are woven into these novels, especially in the last book.  I am glad that I read them, and there truly were parts that I loved.  But there were also some definite"not so sure about that" moments too.  So I guess if magic and Victorian Gothic and boarding schools and balls are your thing, give this trilogy a try.


All in all I read some great books, and all of the books made me think, feel, and took me to places that only a good book can. 
If any of you have read any of these and have anything to add, please comment and let me know your thoughts on these books.

6 comments:

Jewls said...

I had to read The Giver in 7th grade..I didn't love it then, maybe I need to re-read that one...

Jessica said...

One comment.. You are a speedy little reader. Do you get all the books from the library or do you have them already??

Jessica A said...

Library all the way! I am there at least once or twice a week.

Jessica said...

which library??!! take me with you next time!! haha

Bridget said...

We had very similar thoughts on the Libba Bray books. My ramblings are here. I'm glad someone else feels conflicted about these books. Although by the last one, I wasn't so much conflicted anymore. I was sure I didn't like them. :)

britta said...

Hey!!!!! I love your blog! All your pictures are so sweet, and you look totally happy! :) I am so glad to know about your blog!!!!