Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Chicago!

On January 12th Justin and I left for Chicago.  When we were looking for places to stay in the city, we decided we wanted to stay at the Wyndham but while doing our research we found that hotels in Chicago do not provide free parking, and the charges are outrageous! It was going to be 49 dollars a night to park at the Wyndham. While looking we found there was a best western downtown that had free parking but it was the only hotel in the city that offered it. We decided to stay there one night, and then the Wyndham the other night. When we got to our hotel the first night they randomly upgraded us to a suite. It was Sweet! (pun intended) Then we decided to go out and get some dinner and walk around. It was snowing like crazy, but it made the city look beautiful. We walked along the "Magnificent Mile" which is a mile of high end shopping and we stopped for some dinner at TGI Fridays. We had a little incident there, but I will post about that a little later.  Then we walked around some more, got some goodies at a little market and went back to our hotel.
(not a great pic, but one of the only ones of the city I have. It was too cold and snowy!)

 Then next morning we headed out to go see the home of Frank Lloyd Wright.  He is a famous architect and his homes are incredible. I became a fan of his when I took some interior design classes at USU and have been lucky enough to see some of his homes. I was so excited to actually see his own home that he built.  Justin and I both had a great time on our tour. I guess I am kinda nerdy because that was one of my favorite parts of Chicago! 
Then we did a little more shopping, and then we went out to get some real deep dish Chicago pizza. When we sat down our waitress said that it takes about 45 mins to cook. We were a little hesitant but decided to wait. There was a big sign that read "Worth the Wait" and let me tell you, it was! It was some of the best pizza I have ever had.  The slices were huge and cheesy and delicious.  
After dinner we got all dolled up and went to go see Wicked.  I had been wanting to see it for so long and I actually had butterflies in my stomach when it started because I was soooo excited.  The show was amazing! I loved it! The music is fabulous and the costumes and scenery and special effects were awesome.  We both had such a great time. The only downside was parking again. It was going to be 30 dollars but our validated price was only 19.....only.  When we got back to our hotel we decided we had the munchies so we went out into the freezing cold to find something still open.  We ended up with Slurpees and Cheetos and took our feast back to our room and ate it all in our big fluffy hotel bed. It was such a great night! 
We were sad to leave and get back to real life the next morning, especially since it was a blizzard! I fell asleep but Justin counted about 32 cars off the road as we were trying to get out of the city. It was a mess but we made it home in one piece. It was a great little getaway. Chicago is such a cool city and we can't wait to go back when it is warmer and see more of the sights.

This is the view from our room at the Wyndham. Much more impressive in person!

7 comments:

Sarah and Trent said...

how fun! We saw Wicked in NY and it is INCREDIBLE!! We both loved it also! We missed seeing you at the Buehler Family Party!

Emma said...

Looks like so much fun, P.S. I love your hair!

Emily said...

That's one of the pizza place that I was talking about! Glad you found it! Oh, and I agree with Emma - your hair is super cute! Welcome back to the dark side :)

Keith, Heather and Carsen said...

WOW! What a fun holiday season for you guys! I am jealous about the traveling! It sounded like a ton of fun to go see new fun places! Glad to hear you guys are well!

Nan and Aaron said...

Hey, Sarah B. is my husband's cousin and we live in Chicago, so your post on her blog caught my eye. Chicago is such a fun city! And we just saw Wicked a couple weeks ago. I get chills just thinking about it. The next time you want to come to Chicago just have Sarah get our info and then you can park at our place! Good luck surviving this bitter cold.

Natalie

Anonymous said...

Ok so really I am still VERY jealous that you guys went. I even had Dave convinced that because Justin took you he should take me....I guess we waited too long though Wicked leaves Chicago soon...sad day!

Johnsons said...

So fun! I looove Chicago and want to get Todd out there some day. I'm so jealous you saw Wicked!!