Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Wednesday's Read

Hello all. It is once again time for Wednesday's Read.  Now that it is miserably cold outside, it is my favorite time of year to have a good read.  I love getting in comfy clothes and curling up with a blanket, a great book and some of my personal favorite cold weather foods such as ramen noodles, any kind of soup, cinnamon sugar toast or mac and cheese (and yes I am aware that I have the eating habits of a 6 year old).  And since I eat like a grade schooler, I thought I would share with you one of my favorite "early reader" books.  And for the record, I found and read this book this summer and loved it! Who says a 23 year old can't shop in the kids section at B & N and find something great? Not me!
The book is called The Mysterious Benedict Society,  by Trenton Lee Stewart.  With a title like that I was basically sold already, and I also fell in love with the cover art, but when I turned it over and read this:

"Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?" When this peculiar ad appears in the newspaper, dozens of children enroll to take a series of mysterious, mind-bending tests. (And you, dear reader, can test your wits right alongside them.) But in the end just four very special children will succeed. Their challenge: to go on a secret mission that only the most intelligent and resourceful children could complete. To accomplish it they will have to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules....

I was pretty much sold. I consider myself quite a gifted child and I was up for the challenge!! I bought the book on the spot.  This book is very fun, interesting and entertaining. I will also tell you that there were very few little tests that I actually figured out on my own.  This book was written for kids in late elementary to middle school age, but I loved it all the same.
* There is also a sequel, The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey, which is just as fun. Check these books out or give them to a great kid for christmas!*

1 comment:

Brittany said...

I loved this book! the second one was really good too, but the first one was better in my opinion. I was really glad you got them for me, they were great!