Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Talking Volumes with Stephen King and Audrey Niffenegger.

Last night Justin and I went to a great event! We went to "Talking Volumes" put on by Minnesota Public Radio at the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul. MPR basically puts on a show with authors, talking about their new books. We were lucky enough to get to go to one of the biggest "Talking Volumes" ever. We got to see a rare dual "Talking Volumes" with Stephen King and Audrey Niffenegger. My brother is a HUGE Stephen King fan(you should see his book collection) and so he called me one day to see if I would go to this with the chance that there would be a book signing or something along those lines. I was excited for not only Stephen King, but Audrey Niffenegger who wrote, "The Time Travelers Wife." I also recently finished her new book, "Her Fearful Symmetry" and you just might hear what I thought about it in a later post. I made plans to get tickets to the event a few months ago, and it's a good thing since the show sold out in about 30 minutes. Stephen King was pretty much a superstar and everyone went nuts over him. He was so witty and personable and an all around treat to listen too. Audrey was a bit more dry humored and reserved but I can't imagine it is easy to "open" for King as she referred to it herself. They both read from their books, talked about their writing processes and characters and answered audience questions. It was fascinating to me, being such a lover of the written word, to hear two amazing author's talk about how they create and feel about their work.
Even though the "King" did not sign books( I am sure he would have been truly mobbed) Ms. Niffenegger did. I was excited to get my book personalized from her!
One of our favorite parts of the evening were the ooh's, ahh's and gasps from the audience when King would hint at future works or tell the future lives of past characters. It was pretty fun.
We had a great evening. It was fun to get out into the city and hear from some truly amazing people. I only wish that my brother could have been there. Stephen King is his idol and we both felt a little guilty having the opportunity to see him live instead of Jordan, but I did take some good notes for him!!!
Sorry the pictures aren't great. No flash in low light.

This is me and Audrey Niffenegger as she was singing my book.
And here is one for Jordan. I wanted to try and get a little video clip and I got one of him telling a great story about when his first novel, "Carrie" sold.

2 comments:

Jordan, Aubrey, Kaden, and Toby said...

That was funny. Thank you for the video clip. I guess I will just have to wait a little while longer to see Mr. King.

chris said...

Sounds like a great opportunity! Thanks for that.