Pages

Monday, November 16, 2009

The Better Burger & Soup Du Jour

This post is actually two posts in one. They are both food related.

The Better Burger
Don't judge us. We like to occasionally hit up a fast food joint and indulge off the dollar menu. As of late we have enjoyed the Dollar McDouble. Its a double cheeseburger for a dollar people! The other night as we were driving to our local Mickey D's we were discussing the recent ad campaign of the new dollar double cheeseburger at Burger King. They have been marketing it as a bigger and better burger than the McDonald's version. It just so happens that our BK is right next door to our McD's so we decided to put their claim to the test.
Our first observation was that indeed the BK burger was a bigger burger. It was also on a sesame seed bun as opposed to the plain bun of McDonald's. I was surprised at how different the burgers tasted. They were very unique to their establishments. The Burger King burger has thicker patties that have that char-broiled taste. The McDonald's burger tasted like a McDonald's burger so.... pretty much awesome. In the end Justin liked the BK burger a little better and I liked the McDonald's burger better. They are both tasty but given the choice I would take the McDonald's any day. But we could not just leave it at that. There is another popular eating establishment who also has a double cheese burger on their dollar menu. They are known as Wendy's. Did we try this burger and compare it to the others? You bet we did. And after comparing the three, we are still set on our first choices. Sorry Wendy.
And please no comments about what we are putting into our bodies, because we already know!
Heaven.

Soup Du Jour
One time we were at a a restaurant in Logan called Hamilton's, and on a whim I ordered the french onion soup, even though I hate onions with a passion. It was heavenly and I have been craving it ever since. I will just say that I don't hate the flavor of onions, I enjoy it. It is totally a textural thing. I despise eating onions unless their texture has been fully compromised. In a good french onion soup they are cooked so long, and are so caramelized that they lose that "crunch" that I hate. Anyway, a few Sunday's ago I decided to bust out my culinary skills and make homemade french onion soup. It took some work, was fairly pricey, and from start to finish it took about 5 hours, but it was so good and so worth it. I was so proud of how it turned out for being my first time!

And of course we couldn't end our meal without a decadent desert to compliment our french onion soup. What better then creme brulee, which I had also never made. It was very easy and inexpensive and also turned out great!
It was a great French meal!
You know what they say, "When in France".
Or is it Rome?

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I am with you, I love McDonalds double cheeseburger. I am embarrassed to admit that in my younger and poorer days I used to order two of them and eat them both for dinner (I know, GROSS!). So you won't get any judgement here. As for the french onion soup it is seriously my favorite and if it is on the menu when we go out, I have to order it. Costco also sells a frozen version that is pretty good.

Brittany said...

so, Jessica, what other foods have you been "CRAVING" lately? your food looks delish. Now I really am wanting soup, creme brulee and delicious, unhealthy cheeseburgers. J'adore manger!! I knew taking French would pay off.