Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wednesday's Read

Hello All! I hope you are all having a fabulous day.  Once again I am here with another book recommendation.  Today the book holding the honor is "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Borrows. What a name right, don't you just love it! I do.  
This novel is the story of an author who is looking for inspiration for her next novel and by chance becomes aquatinted with some of the residents of the Island of Guernsey.  The story is told through letters between the characters, but don't let that turn you off.  It is also somewhat historical fiction as it takes place shortly after WWII and makes references to the German occupation of the island during the war, but don't let that turn you off either. I know for some like myself, novels that are told strictly through letters are not my thing but this novel was different somehow. I enjoyed reading the letters between the new friends and the old friends too. I enjoy historical fiction but I know that some out there don't, but even though there are WWII references throughout the novel, it is a lighthearted read that is positive and that tries to look to the future after such devastation.  
This is a very charming story that is sweet and lighthearted with mild doses of inspiring moments.  There are also great historical references and very lovable characters.  It was not the most unique novel I have ever read, but it was a very enjoyable and witty read.  I really liked the main character, Susan Ashton, and found myself rooting for her. I also found myself wanting to move to Guernsey and join the literary society so that I could meet all the wonderful characters in person and discuss my favorite novels over a slice of potato peel pie with them.
The one word I keep coming back to to describe this book is Charming.  Read this if you want to read a book that makes you laugh, learn a little history, and that makes you realize why you love books all over again. 

1 comment:

Emily said...

I just started reading History of Love!! I'm only about 5 pages in, but so far, so good!!

Yay for Wednesday's Read!