Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wednesday's Read

Once upon a time I was a Junior in high school and I had to read "To Kill A Mockingbird" in my honors Literature class.  From that day on it has been one of my favorite novels and I own it and have read it about 5 times.  I was recently reunited with it again as it is the book for this month for my wards book club.  It is one of those books that I just assume that everyone has read and I am surprised when I realize that not everyone has read this amazing story! 
I have been surprised to learn that "To Kill a Mockingbird" was Harper Lees only published novel, and not only was it her only novel, but it won the Pulitzer Prize in 1961 and in 1999 was called the best novel of the century by the Library Journal.  Have I convinced any of you yet that have not read this? 
 To give you a quick plot that contains no spoilers, the story is about a family, Atticus Finch is the father and he is raising his two children on his own Jem and Scout.  Scout is the main character, she is a tom boy and very mischievous. They live in Alabama during a time of depression and racism.  Atticus is a lawyer, and one of my favorite characters in any novel ever written.  The story follows Scout and her adventures, troubles, and life lessons learned.  Many have said that the novel was an autobiographical piece and that there are many similarities between this and Harper Lees life.  In fact her best friend Dill is said to be based after her real life friend Truman Capote.  This story has great symbolism and depth.  This is one of those great novels that takes you on a journey where you laugh, cry, feel scared and excited and most of all it makes you think.  Every time I read this, I realize again why I love it so much.  It is one of my all time favorite books and I think everyone should at least read this once (if not the 20 or more times I will most likely read it in my life).  
I think one of the reasons that I love this novel so much is that I first read it when I was about 16 and it made a huge impression on me.  It is one of the reasons why I love reading so much.  I know that it is always a book that I can turn to.  I hope that if you have not read it (gasp) that you will give this one a shot.  Even if it doesn't change your life, it will make you think and it will make you feel.  

I know a lot of you out there have read this?  Do you love it as much as I do? It's okay if you don't........really. 

2 comments:

Alanya/Ally said...

I think you did a fabulous job of giving a short description without spoiling anything! You'll have to check out my comment below to know how I feel about this book... :)

Jewls said...

I LOVE this book! I have only read it once and that was in 9th grade so I should probably get reacquainted too!!